Frequently Asked Questions | Learning Disabilities Association of Newfoundland and Labrador

The Learning Disabilities Association of Newfoundland and Labrador often receives questions of a similar nature, in an effort to answer these questions conveniently we have compiled some of the more frequent questions here for quick reference:

I suspect my child may have some manner of learning disability, what should I do?

Do not ignore your suspicions! Contact your school’s support staff, starting with the guidance counseller to inquire about the matter. If you think your child may have a learning disability, you may be right! For additional information contact us.

I am an educator or an administrator of a school or a post-secondary institution, does LDANL provide presentations on (anything)?

Under our community outreach program we offer presentations on many subjects ranging from assistive technology, to self advocacy and teaching strategies, our presentations are catered to their audiences with regard to subject matter and approach, contact us to arrange for a presentation now!

I have been having difficulties getting accommodations arranged for myself or my child, what should I do?

The first step is to ensure lines of communication are open between you and your support staff (guidance counsellor, disability services staff, and administration). Once it’s been made clear what accommodations are required, it may be necessary to wait a reasonable amount of time, if that period has passed further contact may be necessary, or you may need to address the issue from a different angle. As always, LDANL provides advocacy and advice for all individuals with LDs and those who support them, so if you feel the situation is becoming frustrated or you are unsure how to proceed, don’t hesitate to contact us.

My child has has nearly completed High School, what do we need to do before attending post-secondary?

It is important before leaving the public school system to ensure your child has received an updated asssessment of their Learning Disability, as organizations outside of the school system will require the new assessment to allow for everything from accommodations to financial assistance. If your child will be attending Memorial University of Newfoundland we suggest you contact the Glenn Roy Blundon Centre for Students with Disabilities at least 3 months in advance of the start of their first semester in order to allow for processing of information, grant and student loan applications. Likewise, if your child will be attending College of the North Atlantic, you should contact their Accessibility Services division at least 3 months in advance for the same reasons.